|Open and Shut|
|Season 05, Episode 02|
|Air Date||September 25, 1997|
Mark investigates when her older lover, a new state Supreme Court Justice, murders a teenage girl.
When David McReynolds realizes that Allison Porter wants to go public with their illicit love affair, he strangles her in the bath on her 18th birthday, just before his father Peter McReynolds proudly swears him in as fellow Justice on the California Supreme Court. New assistant medical examiner Amanda confirms the lack of bruises suggests no struggle: Allison knew her killer. Mark finds her stolen jewelry on an OD'd junkie named Otis, but believes he didn't kill her and soon catches David in a lie. The Sloans discover his under-age affair and that Allison's parents had also found out about it from her diary. Steven finds David murdered at his dinner table, with Allison's mother's gun, but she admits having been David's lover herself and claims she was unable to shoot him. David's medicine for a pancreatic disorder opens another trail, but without proof, yet Mark finds another way...
- Dick Van Dyke as Mark Sloan
- Victoria Rowell as Amanda Bentley
- Charlie Schlatter as Jesse Travis
- Barry Van Dyke as Steve Sloan
- Carol Huston as Helen Porter
- Terry Lester as Jeffery Porter
- James Read as David McReynolds
- Tucker Smallwood as D.A. Ferris
- Robert Stack as Judge Peter McReynolds
- Jimmie F. Skaggs as Otis